Within Dynamics 365 navigate to Customization -> Solutions and create a new solution.
Fill in the Display Name, Name, Publisher & Version and save the record.
Navigate to Components -> Client Extensions on the left navigation bar
Click on ‘Add Existing’ and select ‘Site Map’
In the pop-up window that opens up select the default ‘Site Map’ solution and Click ‘Ok’.
On the ‘Missing Components’ screen ensure ‘DO NOT INCLUDE DEPENDENCIES’ has been selected and click ‘Ok’.
There are only two options to edit Site Map:
- Manually editing Sitemap through customization.xml file (after exporting the solution file above)
- Using 3rd party tool called XrmToolbox (http://xrmtoolbox.codeplex.com)
With the December 2016 update for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016, Microsoft launched the Microsoft Dynamics Sitemap Designer tool in Dynamics 365.
To use the inbuilt Sitemap Designer Click on the ‘Edit’ button within the solution after selecting the ‘Site Map’ record.
The steps below describe the process of the editing the Site Map manually.
- Export the solution created above
While exporting the solution ensure to ‘Publish All Customizations’ and click ‘Next’.
Ignore the ‘Missing Required Components’ screen and click ‘Next’.
On the ‘Export System Settings’ screen ensure that nothing is checked and click ‘Next’.
On the Package, Type screen Select ‘Unmanaged’ and click ‘Next’.
On the Target solution screen keep the default value populated and click ‘Export’
You should now get a zip file.
- Extract the zip file and open the ‘customization.xml’ file
- Make the required Site Map changes in the XML and save the file.
- Select all the extracted files and zip it again.
- Navigate to Customization -> Solutions -> and click the Import button
- Upload the zip file and click ‘Next’
- On the next screen click ‘Import’
- Once the import is completed click ‘Publish Customizations’
Refresh the CRM homepage to view the Site Map changes.